This is an easy dessert that you can plan for making this valentine's day. I have never made pie in my life and when i decided to make these heart treats i was looking going through couple of recipes in pinterest which used store-brought per crusts and some of them were made with shortening. So i just skipped the shortening part and used just butter and flour. Making the dough is very easy, just add all together and mix it to form a dough. This crust would work for large pies too.
Once baked it was very flaky and the jam filling gave it a nice sweetness making it a perfect dessert. I used blackberry jam as the filling, sky is the limit, you can use any type of filling you like.
Here's an step by step video:
If you make this or any of the recipes from Appetite Treats, be sure to tag #appetitetreats on Instagram or share it in my Facebook page. I would love to see your creations!
VALENTINE'S HEART TREATS
By Sathya Sankar
Makes 10-13 Treats
FOR THE CRUST
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-21/2 tablespoon ice cold water
- any jam of your choice
- Egg wash
- Brown sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of food processor, add together flour, salt and butter.
- Pulse together for a crumbly mixture.
- Add the ice cold water little by little and mix the flour and butter mixture until it comes through to form a dough.
- Move the dough on to a floured surface and roll the dough in to a circle.
- Using a heart cutter, gently cut the dough hearts and place them in the lined baking sheet.
- Roll again and repeat with the remaining dough. You must be having even number of hearts.
- Brush extacly half the number of hearts with egg wash and place a small amount of jam on top.
- Close the filled hearts with the remaining hearts and press gently, make sure you seal the hearts on the edges well, other wise the filling may come out.
- Using a small round tip, press gently on the edges of the hearts to make it pretty.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top and bake for 15 minutes or until the hearts golden brown on top.
- Let it rest on a wire rack until cool.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos without prior permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own words and link back to Appetite Treats.
- The measurement mentioned above makes about 10-13 treats. You can double the recipe.
- Using cold butter and ice cold water is very important for making the crust very flaky.
- Instead of using jam, fresh fruits, chocolates, pie filling also can be used.
- Make sure to seal the edges well, few of my treats opened up while baking and filling separated, you dont want this!
- Instead of brown sugar, white sugar or even colorful sugar sprinkles can be used.